Sunday, July 28, 2013

MEETING WALLISIANS ... AND OTHER INFORMATION



I FIRST met Wallisians when I was in Nouméa last year (2012) for a two-week language programme.

In the two weeks I was there, my host, a businesswoman, introduced me to a good number of Wallisians, many of them her clients.
The host told me that there were many Wallisians in Nouméa. (Wallisians are Polynesians.)
I met Dani, a nice lady, who was working at the institute I attended for the course.

Dani told me that her father was Samoan but her mother was Wallisian.
Her husband, on the other hand, had a Wallisian father and Samoan mother.

 Figure: Map showing Wallis and Futuna and other nations. (Map from worldatlas.com)

When I later looked at a map to see exactly where Wallis was, I realized that it was next to Samoa – in fact, it was west of Samoa and approximately north of Fiji.   


Wikipedia states that Wallis and Futuna has a population of 13,484 from a July 2008 census (about 68.4% in Wallis and 31.6% in Futuna). The 2008 registers a decrease from 14,944 in a July 2003 census.  

Interestingly, more than 16,000 Wallisians and Futunians live as expatriates in the other French territory of New Calédonia.
Most people in Wallis and Futuna are Catholics.

No comments:

Post a Comment